Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic Soup
Roasting peppers in the oven as a side dish has been my favourite thing lately. The smell of roasted bell peppers in the evenings has brought some extra comfy, cozy vibes to our house. I love roasting red peppers as its really enhances the flavor of the pepper and intensifies their sweetness. Recently I remembered that many years ago I made a roasted red pepper pasta sauce which turned out beautifully – this inspired me to make a roasted red pepper & garlic soup as a cozy night dinner dish! This soups uses red pepper along with a whole head of garlic as the basis of a tasty hearty soup which is rich in antioxidants and all things good for you. It as an easy recipe to prepare, and you will love all of the flavours and creamy texture of this roasted red pepper & garlic soup.
Making the roasted red pepper & garlic soup
This soup is quick and easy to put together with the main ingredient being the red peppers and the garlic. Cut the bell peppers in chunks and remove the seeds. Roast them in the oven, with the remaining vegetables (instructions below). Once the vegetables and peppers are cooked, blend them up in a food processor or blender with the vegetable broth and seasonings. I use the Vitamix Blender which is fantastic for so many things, including giving you the perfect creamy soup texture.
To make this soup taste even better, add some spices and herbs. I love using fresh basil leaves, Italian and Tuscan seasoning, smoked paprika, and the right balance of salt and pepper. The addition of sour cream gives just the right amount of creaminess and balance of flavour to this delicious soup. To add some crunch, add a handful of pinto beans to each portion and this soup will be complete. Adding on some toasted bread with garlic butter would make for a super cozy dinner on colder nights!
Roasting the red peppers
The best way to roast peppers is to do it in the oven. Cover a large baking tray with baking paper. Slice the peppers in chunks, remove the stems and seeds. Assemble them on the baking tray alongside the other chopped vegetables (garlic, onion, tomatoes & potatoes), drizzle with olive oil and season.
Roast the peppers in the oven for roughly 35 minutes, the timing will depend on the type of oven you have. The skin of the red peppers will darken throughout the roasting process. Once you remove the peppers and vegetables from the oven leave them to cool as you will need to remove the skin of each red bell pepper prior to blending them into a delicious creamy soup.
Seasoning the soup
I found that the flavor of this roasted red pepper soup is enhanced if it sits in the refrigerator overnight. I like to roast my peppers and onion together in the oven along with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. The sweetness of the roasted bell peppers stands out along with a slight smokiness from the roasting process. You can also experiment with adding herbs like oregano, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, and a dash of Tuscan seasoning. I have also been loving fresh basil leaves lately, they are a great addition to dishes such as spaghetti but also work well with the roasted peppers. Garnish with some fresh basil leaves, pinto beans, and some sour cream for that great balance of flavours. Serve it with a crusty loaf of bread and you’ve got the perfect cozy dinner meal for any night!
ROASTED RED PEPPER & GARLIC SOUP RECIPE
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 2 medium chopped onions
- 1 whole bulb of garlic
- 3 medium chopped tomatoes
- 3 medium chopped potatoes
- 1 cube vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 2 cups of water
- fresh bay leaves
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Tuscan seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt & pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 80 g sour cream
- fresh bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Wash, and chop the red bell peppers and tomatoes into chunks, arrange on the baking tray with the red peppers skin side down.
- Peel and wash the onions and potatoes – arrange onto the baking tray.
- Gently toss the onions, potatoes, tomatoes, onion and red peppers lightly with olive oil (try to keep the onion wedges intact as best you can). Place the unpeeled garlic on the sheet, too. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the vegetables are tender throughout and turning golden on the edges.
- Once the peppers are roasted, let them cool and remove the skin.
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Peel your garlic and toss it in. Add the roasted vegetables, Italian seasoning, Tuscan seasoning, oregano and smoked paprika. Simmer for 10 minutes, reducing heat as necessary to maintain a steady simmer.
- Purée the soup using a blender or food processor, several cups at a time. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Alternatively, toss the roasted vegetables in a blender, add the boiled vegetable broth and blend.
- Garnish the soup with some fresh basil leaves, handful of pinto beans and a tablespoon of sour cream per portion.
- Serve the soup with a crusty loaf of bread with some garlic butter.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how this turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture or reach out over on Instagram.
Howdy, I do believe your blog might be having browser compatibility issues. When I take a look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Besides that, fantastic blog!