Chocolate Snowball Cookies
Ahhh the smell of freshly baked chocolate snowball cookies! There are a lot of things that bring comfort, happiness and memories from our kitchens and I think that baking cookies at home is always such a special thing. The smell, the warmth and the taste that melts in your mouth can create great memories! Chocolate Snowball Cookies are the perfect treat with a cup of hot tea or a decadent hot chocolate. They are nutty and filled with a chocolatey surprise on the inside. They are also great if you want to use them as holiday gifts. Wrap them up in a little box, tie a bow, or serve them as a part of your holiday treats.
“Baking cookies is comforting, and cookies are the sweetest little bit of comfort food. They are very bite-sized and personal.”Sandra Lee
The dough for this recipe is very much inspired by the common butter and flour batter we use in a lot of Serbian desserts. The batter reminds me of the famous Vanilice Cookies, which I shall show you how to make some day 😊. Most cultures around the world also use this type of batter for baking so it is a good one to remember. You can also adjust it by adding other flavours such as lemon zest or vanilla essence. But don’t forget that butter, sugar and flour are a great starting basis for all things sweet.
How to make chocolate snowball cookies
This is basically a one bowl recipe. All you need is the ingredients, one bowl, and a mixer (or your hands) to prepare these delicious cookies.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar with the butter. Mix on medium speed until well combined.
- To the mixture, add the crushed almonds, flour and ice cold water. Combine all ingredients together with a mixer or with your hands. I find that combining the dough at this stage with your hands is best.
- Place the dough in the fridge to set for 35-40 min.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C.
- Weight out 40 g of the cookie dough and form into a circle. Then flatten the circle into a disc, placing a chocolate square in the middle. Fold over and seal.
- Arrange the cookies on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the chocolate snowball cookies to cool before rolling into some icing sugar (optional).
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
While making this recipe is suuuuper easy! It can also be easy to go astray and add more butter when you see the dough not forming. But do not give into this temptation as more butter will only result in flat and melted cookies.
- When mixing the butter and sugar, mix until the butter has softened and incorporated well with the sugar. You are looking for an almost fluffy texture.
- Adding ice cold water is super important! When making the dough – gradually add in the ice cold water as you may not end up needing all of it. You are looking for all of your ingredients to be hydrated. This helps the ingredients shape into a well formed dough.
- Use your hands to form the dough. After you have mixed the butter and sugar with a mixer, you will get a better formed dough by using your hands. In doing so you are more likely to see if your dough is sticking well together.
- Refrigerate the dough. Since the recipe requires the use of butter, it is important to let the dough set in the fridge. The butter would have most likely melted in your hands. Refrigerating the dough will help the cookies hold its shape.
Storing the cookies
These Chocolate Snowball Cookies can be stored for up to a week in an airtight container or frozen for a few months. If you choose to freeze them, open the container before you thaw them, to allow the moisture to escape. Thaw completely before serving.
If you’re in need of an easy and delicious treat to bake then this Chocolate Snowball Cookie recipe is for you! It requires very little fuss and bakes in no time. Make it as a next treat for your family and friends, or for an upcoming festive season ❄️.
Did you make this recipe?
Who doesn’t love a good cookie. Especially a chocolatey cookie. These Chocolate Snowball Cookies are the cutest little treat. They are great treats for any occasion, but especially during the festive seasons! Let me know how this Chocolate Snowball Cookie recipe turns out for you! Leave a comment below or reach out and share a picture on Instagram.
|120g unsalted butter room temperature|
|100g caster sugar|
|400g all purpose flour|
|70G crushed almonds|
|1/2cup ice cold water|
|18 chocolate squares|
|1/2cup icing sugar for decorating|